What She Would Have Said...

Note to reader:  When I wrote the following poem, I heard a melody in my head.  Imagine a piano sound and a series of ooos as if warning the listener the jilted lover has gone half crazy.  I envisioned a man first begging for the relationship.  Then I thought of a woman and what she might have hoped to hear from a former lover. Enjoy!

I was looking at your face
the other day
thinking if you give me half a chance
to start over--
a new romance.

We had great times.
Everything wasn't bad.
You loved me like no other--
even when you're mad.

You spoke beautiful things,
made me feel like a king.

What happened to us?
Someone came
and destroyed
what we had been trying to build.

Should have known
when you smiled so brightly
it was no longer for me.

Would you give me half a chance?
Remember how we danced?
A two step, then a twirl,
ended with a dip.
Love like ours is a trip--
highs and lows.
You loved me so.

Let me fight for your love,
listen to the words that I give!
You opened yourself to him,
cried the blues,
don't you know you'll lose!
Don't you see the cues?

Give me a half chance!

He's married, oh so married!
I love you more than you know!
I thought our love would grow...
this was an all-time low.

Forget what I told you...
I'll get over you!

Keep your chance!
I'll start a new romance.
I'll find another song, another dance.
No chance.

Nicholl McGuire

No comments:

RSS Search