It's Not All About Men

My love didn't thrive from being with a man
from holding his hand,
kissing his lips
or gyrating hips.

There was no man when love
grew within,
just men who liked to remind me
of my past sins.

Love, love!
Found there was more to it
when I looked above!

I could rest and be content
with the new creature Me,
no longer blinded by what I see!

The movies tell us best,
put one's love to test.

Remind us through songs,
when we do things wrong.

Parents warn us
a little too late,
yet we go on another lifeless date.

Love didn't begin with men,
they couldn't oil hearts of tin.

No, love isn't all about that "One,"
especially when relationships lose their fun.

So avoid the temptation to give it all,
don't allow yourself to take a fall.

Love picks up, it doesn't let down,
doesn't run one's heart into the ground.

Nicholl McGuire

No comments:

RSS Search