Adult Lust

We didn't waste anytime.
From a few phone calls, dinner, a walk in the park
and now we lie naked between wet sheets.

I reflect to a time I first saw him.
He was handsome, reminding me of a childhood friend.
His smile displayed innocense, deceitfully saying,
"I want nothing more than friendship."

He teased me with his simplicity.
No complicated arrangements to make time to talk.
He was careful in the way he spoke, his voice
never cracked, stuttered or raised.

I felt overly trusting of this man I barely knew.
His cubicle around a corner from mine.
Time didn't stand still when we saw one another.
We practically bumped into each other and only said, "Excuse me."

Then one day without notice, a request for a phone number,
then an impromptu invitation to dinner.
The stranger was secretly interested.

Our attraction grew with each glance across candlelight,
he was something new for me and I for him.
Neither of us gave each other time to talk about the past,
break each other's heart, and make plans for the future.

We only wanted what we could get now.
The "now" was more important, then anything else.
He wasn't what I had envisioned myself to be with,
but I had settled.

As we lie on our backs in the dark,
both of us have rolled over.

We both know the truth. There will be nothing more to this in the morning.

Nicholl McGuire

No comments:

RSS Search