One, Two, Three

One, two, three...
he said he was in love with me.
But that's not what I could see!

I swear I heard him say, "Love me."
One person's name is on his family tree.

He gave me one, two, three roses
to hide what was happening under our noses.

There was one, two, three women we knew.
Then years later there was more than a few!

One, two, three people died and that's when
he learned they all lied!

What they said, what happened in bed.
Down a black hole he was led.

Everyone paid the price,
he did away with all his Sugar and Spice.

Bitter, mean, and always ready for a fight--
hated everyone, everything in sight!

Skin was changing, heart unchanging.
Life had been rearranging.

I had long left, before he committed theft.
My departure was deft.

Before I allowed myself to pity him,
one, two, three I refused to go out on a limb.

Nicholl McGuire

 

No comments:

RSS Search