1996 Picked Up Sticks

Too much
too soon.
Last I remember,
a blood moon.
Thought he had left
around noon.
What was I to do?
He was one of a few.

Attracted to me on a bad day,
they never knew what to say.
So I listened to their speech,
waited for the moment to teach.
They didn't want me to preach.
Attached to me like a leech.

My blood didn't cover their sin.
Lust-filled immoral men.
What war was I fighting in?
A spiritual guide, lied.
Said I would be okay,
never encouraged me to pray.

There was no saving me
for a wedding day.
The one that left,
I think he was gay.

I knew I was bad,
but didn't want to be sad.
Those men made me mad!
Tried to fight the pain within
danced my way into sin.
What more was I to do?
Did it all.
Took a fall...
Caught an old love walking in a mall.
Who was the girl?
My head did twirl.

I didn't play for keeps,
just loved when my heart did leaps.

I liked another, he was fun.
Then there was The One.

1996 picked up sticks,
back then, got my fix.
Played the game,
five minutes of fame.
Now today I'm tame.

Nicholl McGuire


 

No comments:

RSS Search