Love What, Love Who!?

Poem dedicated to any reader who has been asked by a mate to do things you really didn't want to do.

Love you, love what?

If I agree to this,
then who might I be?

Say what, say who?
What about you?

I have to think about this.
Don't know if I can put up with this.

Not happy with that,
compromise what!?  For a few...

Gifts, kisses?  But, that's right holiday misses!
All is forgotten, but not necessarily.

Somehow equated love with what you do--
had a feeling things would go like this!

Routines, tasks, life challenges.
Death, mayhem, crying, misunderstandings.

Love you, love what, love who!?

A representation of a mother, a father
with issues--oh yes, lots of issues!
Relatives here, there and everywhere!
Past friends, co-workers, fans...
so many want access to you!

I am to love the you, the who, within.
But who are you really?

So many guards, protection all around
a torn heart, a childhood past, and addictions that seem to last and last!

Eyes look through me.
I think your asking too much!

Don't know the who, the what, the where, the why
and how might I go about this?

Expecting me to be open to what you do.
Find myself asking,
"Love what, love who?"

Nicholl McGuire

RSS Search