Lost Me

When love walked in,
Me walked out.

Focused on him.
The way he looked, dressed, walked, smiled...
it was all about him.

When he called.
Available.
When he came by.
Dropped everything.
When he wanted something.
Gave it to him.

Got angry one day.
Looked in the mirror.
Didn't recognize the eyes that looked back at Me.

Pregnant Me,
so far gone!

Between child and man,
no time for Me.

My identity stolen.
Left it out to be snatched away.

Their worlds, became my world.
Their time, became mine.

Lost myself in them.

Who was I?

Still bold, brash, loving, kind, sweet...
it was hard to tell.

I felt weak.

Mother, wife
was all that came to mind.

Forgot about what I liked to do.
Painting, singing, talking, sightseeing.

So I stole back Me.
When loved walked in, I didn't walk
this time.

Stuck with my plan.
This was my life,
and I was still Me.


Nicholl McGuire is the author of Spiritual Poems by Nicholl





RSS Search