Bye Old Man

A new man, a new day
rain in April, flowers in May.

Put off my old man,
On second thought, I ran!

Didn’t want to have to face,
or live with evil in a new place.

The roses of our love had long ago died
After the first time he had lied.

Loving this new place I’m in--
no longer in sin!

Feeling good about the new me,
as far as I can see.

I can’t speak for old him,
He tried to go out on a lim'.

Wanted to rush and get right,
before I took the next flight.

But I wasn’t interested in talking,
more interested in walking.

He was always looking for better,
but was bound by a letter.

He made a promise or two,
Or maybe it was a few.

He tried to make me forget
What he said when we first met.

He would take care of me,
but he hadn’t given up his key.

A lock to the past that he didn’t want to leave.
He didn’t expect me to grieve.

How could I not?
When this wasn’t what I had sought?

So I waited for my dove,
and now I’m in love,
with that new man, you see,
the one who hung upon the tree.

Nicholl McGuire
For more spiritual poems, click here

No comments:

RSS Search